Junior Officer of the Year Award
The Medical Laboratory Science Professional Advisory Group (MLSPAG) established the MLSPAG Junior Officer of the Year Award in 2006. It is presented to a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service who is recognized for outstanding leadership, exceptional clinical contributions, and/or exemplary service and accomplishments, which positively impact the Commissioned Corps and the medical laboratory science profession.
The award will be presently at the Commissioned Officers Association’s annual meeting.
Any active duty MLS commissioned officer, O-4 and below, may self-nominate or is nominated. One nominee will be chosen each year for the MLSPAG Junior Officer of the Year Award. Members of the MLSPAG are not eligible. All nominees must have a minimum of 1 year of active-duty service with the Corps.
Each recipient shall demonstrate one or more of the following activities (or activity) during a current tour of active duty with the Corps, which exhibits a positive impact on the MLS profession and the Commissioned Corps. Activities and accomplishments in prior tours, with prior services, or as a civilian do not qualify.:
- Outstanding, unquestionable leadership in the Corps including but not limited to mentoring and impact with fellow MLSs.
- Clinical excellence evidenced by quality work, improved outcomes with demonstrated and documented impact to patients.
- The application of unique skills or creativity in the approach or solution of a situation(s).
- Contribution or accomplishment, which notably impacts and improves public health.
- Professional contributions significant to a Division, Bureau, Agency, community, State, region, or the Nation.
- Courage and integrity in hazardous, austere, or emergency environments.
- Nominees must meet the Basis level of force readiness with OFRD.
- Nominations are accepted from anyone, including the Officer, with professional knowledge of the above criteria.
||LCDR Cara Nichols
||LT Renae Hill
||LCDR Karen Romancito
||LCDR Clyde Darrah
||LCDR Jennifer Malia
||LT Sabrina Ivory